Monday, January 7, 2013

:: making it Happen ::

2009 at the Farmer's Market.

I know that I have shared this story with you before.  About how two years ago my twin and I decided to close up our handmade goods shop.  We got spooked after the CPSIA regulations came out.
We jumped the gun. 
We bailed.


We put our creativity into other avenues.  We started making and selling patterns and tutorials for our goods and were happy having others create our goods with their own two hands,
We repressed the sorrow deep down in our hearts that we wished to be the ones that were stitching, knitting, and crocheting.
We created Windfall Dolls and filled the void of stitching that was so aching.
We thought that we were ok.


We weren't.

After many a phone call and email to CPSIA officials by my unbelievably tenacious sister and many a conversations with each other that began with the words...Are we ready for this?

We came to the conclusion that we don't make anything harmful for anyone. There is no risk to little ones in a handmade doll or hat or other such thing, as long as there aren't any attached buttons, ties, small pieces.  We fit that category.  We would make utterly sure that we made quality goods and did it well.

We shook on it, giggled uncontrollably at the excitement of it all and made the leap.


We bought labels and wrote item numbers and date of manufacture on the backs of them.  We crocheted and sewed up baskets of goodies and began slowly listing them in our shops.


And slowly and happily they are selling in our shops!




In the future there will be a return to our beloved tent at the Farmer's Markets.  There may be more goods other than baby dolls, hats, and cozies.

We are getting our toes wet, tentatively returning to a place in our lives that brought us so much excitement and happiness.

How serendipitous that I read a post by Erin today about just this very thing. A year of challenge:: Make it happen.



We are making it happen. 
 2013 is going to be our year of rebirth for our handmades.

It feels unbelievable.

I encourage you all to go read Erin's post.  It says a lot for hopes and dreams and perseverance.  Just the ticket for beginning a new year on the right foot.  I'm joining in...are you?

XOXO, Jules and Laura

2 comments:

  1. This is a very exciting post, even if I don't know what you are going to be doing but I can guess that you will be making dolls and selling them. I love your dolls and can't wait to see what you are going to be doing in 2013.
    Good luck with all of your adventures and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited for you. I love the inspiration you share and the absolute love you convey through your dolls. They are just magical.

    ReplyDelete